Friday, August 14, 2009

Heads up: PMS

Alright - heads up to any of my guy readers!  Tune out now if you can't handle the low down....

Ladies - fess up!  Who out there suffers from PMS besides me?  I know I'm not the only one.

Ok, I also know that I'm probably not the only one who gets it BAD.  And when I say bad, I mean B-A-D!  Every month I think how nice it would be if someone just removed my innards.  Aside from the achy, crampy, generally miserable feeling, my hormones get all out of whack, and I've been known to, um, get close to the edge...  Turn into a BITCH.  (some might say that's an improvement...)  (others mights say *more* of a bitch...)
  
I don't mean to.  I don't like when it happens.  But the littlest things can set me off.  A sideways look.  A comment that otherwise would be fine.  But in the throws of PMS, they're just dangerous.  A simple TV commercial can make me burst into tears.  Or I can take a compliment the wrong way, and cry for an hour.  Insane, right???  Imagine living it!!

And being a smartass to begin with, when you throw PMS into the mix, then things sometimes come flying out of my mouth before I've ever had time to think about it.  Not good!

I've learned over the years, that sometimes it's best to sit quietly, and not say much during PMS.  This works for the most part, but then it draws a lot of attention when you aren't normally that quiet, and say, you're at a party.  Everyone wants to know what's wrong.  You don't really want to blurt out to everyone that you have PMS.  For me, it's hard not to snap at the millionth person who has asked me what was wrong.  

I've found a few things that help.  One is DRUGS.  No, not illegal ones.  Prescriptions.  But I haven't been to the DR in in a long time because of insurance reasons, so the good stuff has run out.  Then there is CHOCOLATE!  Copious amounts.  All forms and lots of it.  Another good tool?  Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream.  No other flavor helps me cope better than this one. 

If you've ever been in my path, I apologize.  I'll also apologize in advance just in case we ever cross paths while I'm in this state of mind.  It's definitely not personal.  

Just throw chocolate, and run in the other direction.  

AMW
PS - Milk chocolate is my favorite, and preferably with no nuts.  I also like Twix, and Reeses!  :)

2 comments:

kimmyd said...

I can totally relate. Just ask KO and the boys..... They know to just back away......

Annapants! said...

I've been managing okay by just recognizing that it is PMS. Once I can tell myself that it's all in my head it seems to help. Drugs are good too! ;p