Friday, April 18, 2008

Bowling

So, back in September, before this blog was a twinkle in my eye, a friend of mine talked me into joining a bowling league. It was a "fun" league, with very little competition. I only knew one person on the league (the one who roped me into it), and I wouldn't even be on her team. I'd be on a team with people I'd never met. It was good to be out of the house one night a week, and meeting new folks.

I, however, am not a bowler. This has been apparent over the last 8 months. I've been consistantly inconsistant. I will say that the highest game I had was a 154. For me, that was pretty impressive, considering my aferage is a 103. I have no idea what I did differently that game, but have not done it again.

I've been a good sport about my many gutter balls, and missed balls, and yes, even a dropped ball. My teammates have been reserved, as they didn't know me to this point, and didn't want to hurt my feelings. They have SLOWLY learned that I am a smartass through and through and that sarcasm is just a natural part of my being. So after many, many, many quotes of "Good Try, Ann" finally in the last few weeks that were able to laugh with me.

It was also in the last few weeks, that someone finally told me the basics (or findamentals) of bowling. A few "A-HA" moments here and there helped. I thought that buying my own bowling ball would help. It did minimally. But one man actually taught me how to bowl. I guess it was pity, as the next to the last week, my first game was a 70. My lowest game of the league so far. So after showing me a few basics, my second game of that night was a 95. Now that's more in line with my average. My third game that night (after retraining my brain, and applying my new-found knowledge) was a 123. Yes, a 53 pin difference from my first game of the night.

This week was the last week of bowling for this league. Still applying my newly attained knowledge, my first game was a 100. My second game was a 103. And my third game was a 134.

I may need to work in bowling once a week, to try to stay motivated and on track in case I'm invited back next year.

And I think I will be. Along with (kind of) learning a new sport(?), I also met some awesome people, and turned them into friends. I started out knowing one person, and left knowing several more.

Who knows... Maybe I'll break 200 next year!

No comments: