Friday, September 24, 2010

A fish tale... part 2.

So what was the fate of the PSYCHO shark?  Did he jump out and become a dog treat?  Did he jump out and die of (un)natural causes?  Did I fry him up (with chips, Ms. P.)?  Did I release him in the wild?  Did I flush him?


All of the above were viable options that I either considered, or could have feasibly happened.


BUT, we did the humane thing, and took him to the local pet shop.  Re-homed him if you will.


Now, I will spare you details of how we got him into a five gallon bucket, but will just say that it was not pretty, or dry.  And he was NOT happy to be in the bucket.  Fortunately, I had a lid on it, cause we could hear him jumping around in there.


Back at the pet shop, a couple of the employees peeked at him, and he jumped around when they did.  And they were amazed at his size.  They found a suitable tank, and true to form, when they removed the lid on the bucket, he promptly jumped out onto the floor.  Sheesh!  Will he ever learn?  Does that make him suicidal???


So here he is in his new temporary home.  This is probably about a 35 gallon tank (ours was a 55 gallon), and he is HUGE in there.  One employee said he guess he was about 12 years old.  He was astounded when I said he was less than 4 years old.  Apparently, saving his life periodically equated to "taking really good care of this fish".  And the manager of the shop said he was the largest one she'd ever seen.  


And gave us $20 store credit.  Not bad for a $4.00 investment, 4 years ago.  And the stress is GONE!


It was very therapeutic today to scrub out the tank.  


So all's well that ends well.  He has a new clean home (and someone else to worry about him jumping out) and we have a section of house back that is stress-free!


AMW

3 comments:

Shay said...

Excellent solution, and you made a profit. And the fish didnt end up as a fillet-of-fish.Everyone wins!

However I hope you didnt leave your address because the pet shop may well be calling you to take your psycho fish back if you did.

AMW said...

Heck no, I didn't leave my address! Or phone number. With my luck, if i would have, they would have set up a whole tank on the front porch with him in it.....

And then I think I might have gone PSYCHO!

Sandy said...

Great solution! No guilt and a relaxing tank with happy fish as well!