Monday, July 21, 2008

Kayak Update

I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath to find out about my kayak and what happened to it. Here goes...



This past weekend, I borrowed the neighbors saw horses and pulled the boat out. I took a garden hose, and filled the inside through the front hatch. After just a few minutes, water was pouring out of the back scupper hole. Not the drain plug, but the scupper hole (specially designed holes in the body of the kayaks to drain water out where your gear is). So that's not good.



I drained all of the water out, and flipped it over. That's when I saw that a piece of pvc was separated by at least 1/4 of an inch, which is allowing the water in. In comparison to the front, there was no gap.


So, we stopped by Appomattox River Company in Yorktown where I purchased the boat, and they said it likely could be sealed. They suggested contacting Hurricane Aqua Sports (the boat manufacturer) and see what they had to say.

I called and talked to Summer and she said that she would send me some epoxy sealant right away, and to try that. If it didn't work, to call her back, and see what else could be done. So, right now, I'll give that a shot, and update here with my findings....




AMW

No comments: